Azurest South is a compact but articulate example of the International Style located adjacent to the campus of Virginia State University. Designed in 1938 by Amaza Lee Meredith as a residence for herself and her partner, Dr. Edna Meade Colson and completed in 1939. Built of concrete block rendered in white-panted stucco, the flat-roofed. one-story structure exhibits the smooth, clean lines associated with its style. Crisp, geometric forms are set off by a lush landscaped setting - a sloping grassy dell surrounded by mature trees. The structure is connected to the surrounding garden through a series of curving pipe rails and by the extending, corrugated roof of the open carport. Distinguishing features of the house are the asymmetrical massing, the curved comers accentuated by narrow bands of glass-block, and the complete lack of applied ornament. Details and finishes designed by Meredith survive mostly intact. Meredith's interior design evokes the Art Deco style and is characterized by dramatic use of color, vivid patterning of walls, floors and ceilings, and the use of inventive lighting fixtures. The house functioned in part as a design laboratory and studio. so its appearance evolved subtly over the years, reflecting her studies of color and material. The most significant changes to the house occurred in the 1950s when the garage was converted to a studio, the carport added, and the kitchen entry infilled with corrugated fiberglass walls. The building now serves as the Virginia State University Alumni House.
Excerpted from the Azurest South National Register Nomination