All nominations can be submitted as separate files and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or through a file sharing platform (Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer). A nomination is considered complete once the below materials and the submission fee is received.
Project Detail form
Name(s) and contact information of the nominator(s), design team(s), client, and owner.
Project Detail Form (automatic download)
Narrative (up to 1000 words)
The narrative should address the significance of the building(s), structure(s) or landscape(s), and the character-defining features that influenced the content or design of the project. For Design projects, please exclude the name of the firm or design team responsible for the project.
You may submit the narrative as a Word document or PDF
Design projects: describe the team's design process and approach; considerations, challenges or opportunities that influenced the project; as well as the treatment of materials, assemblies, finishes and interventions related to the preservation of the integrity of the historic fabric. The narrative should also include a clear description, illustrated by corresponding images, of the defining features and materials of the original design, additions (if applicable), and current design. Projects featuring lesser-known or regional architects or designers (original design team) should include a minimal amount of biographic background information.
Inventory/Survey projects: describe how the project contributes to the advancement of knowledge and awareness of modern resources; the realized and potential impacts of the project in regards to furthering the understanding and awareness of the contributions of modern resources to history.
Advocacy projects: decribe the scope of the advocacy efforts, impact on the site and community and the result of the work. Advocacy efforts will be given equal consideration in the case of preservation, demolition and on-going efforts.
Photo Release Form
A photo release form and project detail form are required for a complete nomination.
Photo Release Form (automatic download)
- Minimum of six (6) images of the project subject, project itself, or a combination of the two. Image size must be at least 1MB.
- The first image is the project lead image. The lead image will be used by Docomomo US in all material related to the project. The image should be horizontal and at least 1MB.
- It is strongly recommended design submissions include photographs comparing the original design, modifications made over time, and the project's current state taken from the same vantage point. You may combine multiple images on one page.
- It is strongly recommended design submissions photographs correspond with the description of the project in the narrative.
- At least one image should be a relevant historic image.
- Descriptions of the images and image credits should accompany the files as either as a Word document or PDF.
Floor plans/additional drawings
For design nominations, original and current floor plans where an addition or alteration has occurred are strongly recommended. A site plan and/or section drawings can be included if relevant.
A nomination may include more than the 6 images required below. If you would like to submit additional images or have any questions regarding the submission process, please send the additional images or questions to email@example.com.
Processing fee can be sent online or by check. Checks should be made payable to Docomomo US and sent to P.O. Box 230977 New York, NY 10023. The name of the project must be included on the check.
$100 - Early Nomination Fee (must be submitted by February 2, 2018)
$150 - Nomination Fee (must be submitted by March 2, 2018)
You may send all required materials either in separate files to firstname.lastname@example.org or through any file sharing platform (Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer). Please add the project name and submission category in the subject line of the email.
Early nominations must be submitted by 11:59 PM on February 2, 2018.
All nominations must be submitted by 11:59 PM on March 2, 2018.
Eligibility and Guidelines
For more details concerning eligibility and guidelines visit www.docomomo-us.org/programs/awards
The checklist below contains a list of the required components needed to submit a project.
- Category of nomination (design nominations should include the sub-category)
- Project Narrative (up to 1000 words)
- Project Detail Form
- Description of Images and Image Credits
- Signed Photo Release Form
- At least 6 images:
- First Image should be the project lead image and should be horizontal and at least 1MB
- Images should compare the original design, modifications made over time, and the project's current state taken from the same vantage point. Before and after shots can be side by side and submitted as one file.
- Nomination Fee
Payments can be made ONLINE or by sending a check. Checks should be made payable to Docomomo US and sent to P.O. Box 230977 New York, NY 10023. The name of the project must be included on the check.
NOT REQUIRED BUT ENCOURAGED
- Original/Current floor plans, site plan, and section elevations
- Additional images are accepted and can be sent to awards(AT)docomomo-us.org
Modernism in America Awards 2018 Checklist (automatic download)
Any questions about the Awards Program or submission process can be emailed to awards(AT)docomomo-us.org.